Tuesday 25 June 2013

Team Bingley

After deciding that my mind was to no longer be slowly destroyed by day time television, turning to the beloved past time of reading seemed the only way to gain back the many IQ points lost over the last week. The book of choice was the classic 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen. 

Granted, this could be seen as an odd choice for the advantage 16 year old. The choice came about through a previous project started by myself  of where I watched all the films that I was told that I must watch purely because "You just have to see them". These would include 'The lion king', 'Fight Club' and the classic 'Bridget Jones diary', which I must admit has become somewhat of a new favorite of mine. Jane Austen's books have always been that are seen as 'must reads' and so couldn't see any better book to help me regain my mind. 

The book itself is by no means perfect but I can honestly say it is one of the best I have had the joys of reading ; the book makes you change the way that you see the world and about the people themselves. 
"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us." 
Darcy is seen in a far more favorable light in the book; his proposal to Eliza is not as random or half hearted then it is in the film but he is also shown as, In the words of a Miss Bridet Jones "An emotional fuckwitt", when he refuses to even look at Eliza through fear of giving her the wrong idea. Though one can't stay angry at Darcy for long as, although fictional, he is perfectly charming.

Some things I have gained from this read?
1. I'm most defiantly more of a Mr Bingley type of girl then a Mr Darcy.
2. I now no longer want to be a 21st Century girl; I pick a ball over a house party any day!
3. Even back then boys liked playing girls feelings (aka Mr Bingham)

-53 Days left of summer

1 comment:

  1. Hey thanks for following my blog! Yours is so lovely and I'm following it too. :) I actually changed my blog so I could have a fresh start with my whole account but I'd love it if you still wanted to follow me! Pride and Prejudice is amazing by the way; I haven't read it yet but I'm going to eventually and I love the movie.

    ReplyDelete