Friday 28 June 2013

Country living: 'Burley Lakes farm'

Waking up to the constant summer rain of England the day was already predicted to go badly. That was until my father invited me along with him and my step-mum to a farm shop that they had discoverer not long ago. I must admit I am far more of a city girl; not one for the dirt and bugs associated with the outskirts of farmland surrounding my beloved Gloucester. Never the less I put on my flats and leggings and began the short journey to the farm.The beautiful farm in question? 'Burley Lakes'just outside of Cheltenham. 

The swishing of the trees, long dirt track and of course the not so sweet smell of manure wafting into your nostrils. It could only be the quainte countryside of Gloucestershire. Though, in my 16 years of life here I have grown to love the smell as it is a constant reminder of our county roots of agriculture. On arrival to the farm you are welcomed by the beautiful lake inside the land. It was a fisherman's paradise with the hilly landscape hugging the land surrounding them. 

We soon discovered a variety of animals including some deer. Though confused at them being white my farther informed me that female deer are white and not the brown and cream as portrayed in Disney's 'Bambi' (Blonde moment). Of course they also had the classic animals: cows,sheep,horses and pigs /piglets!
New born piglets
The little farmshop on sight was the sweetest of all; looking as if it has come straight from a child's storybook. Selling fresh meat and free range eggs, home grown asparagus and local artwork. The service was a perfect with a certain 'service with a smile' vibe to it. They left you feeling nothing was too much trouble for them. The duo of the butcher and, from what I think was the farmers wife were impeccable, even if they did try and get me to try cows tongue (eww!) which lets face it was never going to happen. In the end deciding on some fresh apple and pork sausages, free range chicken, free range eggs, brisket and some pork belly.



I could not rate this place highly enough and would greatly encourage anyone in the area to drop by with the shop open: 

Thursday from 10.30am - 5.30pm
Friday from 10.30am - 5.30pm
Saturday from 10am till 4.30pm


-50 days of summer remaining





No comments:

Post a Comment